THE FIRST STEP
Baptism is one of the very first things we do after we decide that we are going to be
followers of Jesus.
Despite some of the “mystery” that sometimes surrounds baptism, it’s actually not that complicated.
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
- Baptism illustrates Christ’s burial and resurrection. (1 Corinthians 15:3-4, Colossians 2:12)
- Baptism illustrates my new life as a Christian. (2 Corinthians 5:17, Romans 6:4)
- Baptism doesn’t make you a believer. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
Baptism shows that you already believe! Baptism does not “save” us, only faith in Christ does that.
Baptism is like a wedding ring – it’s the outward symbol of inward commitment.
WHY BAPTISM BY IMMERSION?
- JESUS was baptized that way. (Matthew 3:16)
- EVERY baptism in the Bible is by immersion. (Acts 8:38-39)
- The Greek word baptizo means “to immerse or dip under water”
- It best symbolizes burial and resurrection!
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
- EVERY person who has believed in Christ. (Acts 2:41, Acts 8:12-13)
- What about Children? We love kids and we pray and desire that they grow in Christian homes. We offer child dedications for newborns and young children. These are for parents that want to commit to passing on their faith to their children (Deuteronomy 6:4-7) and raising their children in a Christian home. These are typically offered on Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and in the fall.
WHEN SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
- As soon as you have believed! (Acts 2:41, Acts 8:35-38)
- There’s no reason to delay!If you wait until you are “perfect,” you’ll never be ready!
- What if I wasn’t baptized when I first believed? While we encourage baptism as a crucial first step, it’s never too late.
CAN MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY BE BAPTIZED TOGETHER?
YES! If they understand baptism and have placed their trust in Christ!
Remember that baptism is a personal step of faith and obedience, not a group tradition, and you should never wait until someone else is ready to follow Jesus!
I’VE BEEN BAPTIZED, SO WHAT’S NEXT?
Going public for Jesus takes boldness, and we want to encourage you to continue making bold moves for Jesus. At Crosspoint, we are no ordinary family, and we would like to invite you to join us on the journey of faith as we follow Jesus together.
If you’ve been baptized, your next step may be to attend Discover Crosspoint and then to join a Life Group.
SIGN ME UP!
Ready for the next step? Ready to get baptized? Email us or call the church office! (979-968-5953)